Saturday, June 25, 2011

Update on consussion in sport


Hello again!

Long time I know. I've been hoping to be more consistent with posting and updating my blog but unfortunately have been unable to keep up my half of the bargain. I'm currently working on revamping the purpose of this blog and am learning of ways to spread the good word about it. Anyways, work in progress...

I wanted to share a link to a very interesting and informative lecture that was recently put on by UofT's Sport Medicine group and given by Dr. Doug Richards. Dr. Richards is a very well respected sports medicine physician in Toronto and has worked with many professional sports teams in the Toronto area. I was first introduced to Dr. Richards back in my PHE days while at UofT and since then, he has been one of my favorite lecturers to listen to.

Click here for the link to the presentation.

This lecture was given at University of Toronto on Tuesday June 21, 2011 and is approximately 45 minutes in length. Unfortunately, the first 15 minutes of the lecture was on mute (and removed by the administrators), and the last little bit on the UofT management model of concussion was cut short. However, prior to being cut off, (SPOILER ALERT!! STOP READING NOW IF YOU INTEND TO WATCH THE ENTIRETY OF THE WEBCAST!!) I was very interested to learn that from a rehab perspective, their first order of conduct (after the patient has been medically screened and formally diagnosed with a concussion) is to provide an exercise program that emphasizes neck stabilization. Interesting since all physical activity is out right banned in the acute setting. Unfortunately the presentation ended here... a question that I would've had for Dr. Richards is why the contradiction? I suppose one could argue that it is very symptom dependent and that the athlete is closely monitored but the argument can be made that this may be a contradictory recommendation based on his previous statement of "thou shalt not participate in any physical activity... including sex... with self or otherwise!" Nonetheless, based on his earlier arguments surrounding the potential involvement of the upper cervical ligamentous structures in long standing symptomatic concussions, that stabilization would appear appropriate.

With the increasing focus on concussion in sport, I'm hopeful that these and other pathophysiological questions will become clearer in time.

Please let me know what your thoughts are. Better yet, if you can help answer my questions above (or if you were at the presentation) please enlighten me!

Thanks and here's to your Saúde!

Henry

www.saudeclinic.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment